Friday, November 19, 2010

My fascination with stones and rocks extends backwards in time to my early childhood. When I was about three years old, my Father built a driveway at our family home, a large pile of gravel stone was required as a foundation. I was preoccupied with the gravel. Throughout my lifetime since, I have collected minerals and fossils.

Let me assure you that most gravel stone do not have art work as a feature. It is also very difficult to recognize one stone from another, that is a stone bearing graphic art from a more common blank piece. I like to point out, that on any gravel bar along the bank of any stream or river, very few of the stones have ever been touched by a human hand.

When I find a likely stone I do feel great excitement and suspense, knowing that there will be another time of revelation. If you are reading this I know that you probably understand seeing an art work for the first time, possibly lost for hundreds of years, even older than a millennium. I have seen masterful art works appear, visions of divine craftsmen. I have the honor of once again holding their work in my hand.

Likewise I have also seen the destruction of tons of beautiful artifacts,either through ignorance or out right disrespect. Often in the late 19th and early 20th centuries Indigenous American stone art deposits were used as road fill! Many times the rare art works simply washed away with heavy rains. Even today these conditions still exist, There has been no proper organized effort to locate and protect misplaced deposits. It is my hope that this blog site will help to awaken the readers and viewers to the National Treasure that are the stone art works of Indigenous America.

You may contact me at the following e-mail address...
ciaamuseum@gmail.com    




No comments:

Post a Comment