Thursday, April 7, 2011







I would like to reiterate a point that I have made in past post... I never fail to be amazed when I sit down to print these proofs. I have printed thousands of graphic stones, literally hundreds of thousands of unique faces and be assured, no two have ever been exactly alike. Many are similar, but no two are ever exactly alike. Like fossils make prints of the same type in some cases, I mean here two fossils of the same creature may be very similar and the artist may have often choose a particular fossil type for many different individual works, but the surface contour of each stone is unique and therefore no two images will be exactly alike.

It does appear that there must have been academies or school systems that trained the artist. Styles are evident in most of the plates. These styles are the product of the guilds that trained the particular apprentice. I think that we see these same styles everyday in the post-modern world, and it is evident that the artwork of the indigenous American societies is still healthy, well and alive today! It is very important to display artworks so that all may have an opportunity to observe and enjoy, and in particular, the young artist should have likewise, the opportunity to see and study the works of the Ancestor.

No comments:

Post a Comment