Friday, October 8, 2010

Look carefully! Use zoom and rotation. Old, Rare, and so Beautiful!

Do You like modern graphic art? So do I. I'm talking about Intaglio, and Lithography and methods like Serigraph and Wood Cut. I would suggest that a through knowledge of these basic printing processes is probably a prerequisite for understanding the material posted on this blog site.

I do not know when or where the American Indian Nations began to carve stones. Likewise ,I do not know about their printing methods either. This is an important point, I am producing the artist proofs from their stone works, it may not have been their intended purpose. I will let you judge that for yourself. I think that however, you will agree that there are interesting images produced in this process.

It is important to remember that the stones that produced these proofs have been exposed to the environmental conditions unprotected for hundreds of years. The proofs were produced as rubbings using a black Crayola Crayon as medium. The paper used was common 20# ink jet printer paper.

I see groups of faces in this print. Some are quite well conceived. This is the most common motif. Often smaller faces will combine to form a larger face when viewed from a greater distance. Multiple viewpoint is also very common in the art of indigenous people in both north and south America, this is to say that they saw their art as having no top or bottom, no right or left sides and therefore no corners.

As I stated in the first paragraph of this writing, I am interested in modern and post-modern graphic art and photography. I find wonderful inspiration in the study of these fine images. For me it represents the root of our post-modern graphic art. There are many prints to display, we will view new subjects in each posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment