Saturday, October 16, 2010

When I began to collect the images in The Collection of Indigenous American Art , I had little knowledge of the magnitude of the art form that I was studying. I had learned of the cultural habit from class mates while in college. I was told that the American Indians were extremely fine stone carvers and print makers ,and that they worked beautifully in miniature fore mats.

Over the years I have had the opportunity to observe many examples of American Indian stone craft. Most of these works were smaller than 3 inches in diameter. My standard documentary proof is created on a page 2.125 inches by 2.75 inches. I would point out that this is smaller than a standard playing card.

Images of human faces dominate as subject matter, occasionally animals are seen, these images may represent mask or face paintings. It is interesting to note that many of the faces are very modern in appearance, and that some works represent Europeans and African people.

Artist do not always have a purpose in mind when they create art, however in this case I was told that these objects were used as money, that in fact this art form is the source of the custom of imprinting a human face on coins and notes. We should take note here that if this is true the American Indians engraved each piece individually.

What I have written here is as it was explained to me by various people, It is most probably correct and factual information, however I will ,to be honest and on the safe side, say that it is the opinion of layman.




No comments:

Post a Comment