Friday, December 10, 2010

Most of the artist in the history of indigenous America were probably women. It was a great honor, a revered position and a respected place in the national government. I will point out here that I was fortunate to have a professor in my college work that told me this. This individual was a member of the Cherokee Nation and also a Council member as well. She was quick to point out that life was especially hard for women in all American nations and that the competition for recognition was sever.

I think that it is easy to see that many of these art works were probably created for children. Some for the child's interest and amusement and others for a portrait record for parents and elders. The artist produced plates much as we take photographs today. Once again, I say, can you imagine drawing a portrait in a space as small as a 35mm negative or for that matter, then carving the image on a stone? I won't even go into other accepted customs that made the art work more challenging, such as multiple images superimposed one over the other, or creating secondary compositions in other plate positions. These are evolved concepts that grew as the art form was passed from one generation to another. If you are as impressed with these works as I am, we share a common eye, and a satisfaction that feeds the mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment