Friday, December 3, 2010

What kind of art do you like? We all have different ideas and separate taste,and of course there is always the proverbial “ I don't know much about art, but I know what I like!” I say “ Good” to those that say this, because at least there is art that they do like. I usually find that their ideas about art are honest and straight forward. While my ideas about art maybe contemporary and liberal, we should respect the rights of others to differ. This is the first step in the development of a proper dialog where different points of view may be expressed.

One observation that I have made is that conservative individuals are often pleased with many of the prints in the collection of indigenous art, they study over them and quiet often agree that they are very impressed, sighting particular points, like the age of the works, miniature formats, excellent draftsmanship, or beauty of expression. In short the art work is valid because it does contain Classical virtues. They feel that the artist was a skilled artisan that by all means did a days work.

I suspect that there were more fine artist in Pre-Columbian America than there are today. Just as we seldom read and write, likewise most post-modern people take little time to look at art of any kind and creating art themselves has even less place in their minds. Primitive cultures had to rely on the ability of the individual to manufacture a needed idem, as there were no other sources of supply. Many people worked with their hands, this helped to develop the craftsman's ability to work with tools

Here are several new prints. Once again, Thank You for reading and viewing!

You can contact me at

lmccarty.fa@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment